PHD Studies

The University of Switzerland, like most universities in Sweden, regards PhD students as employees. Rather than apply for a doctoral programme, candidates must apply for an available doctoral position. PhD applications are handled by respective departments. 

In addition to postgraduate studies, doctoral students are usually offered some form of departmental service such as administration or teaching for up to 20 per cent of their time.


Our PhD programmes give students the knowledge and skills to conduct independent research, a deep understanding of the subject area, and the ability to teach others.

University of Switzerland’s PhD programmes are comprised of courses and a dissertation in which students carry out a unique and significant individual research project. The project may result in either a monograph thesis, which is a cohesive scientific work, or a compilation thesis consisting of several scientific articles and a summary.

A PhD degree is equivalent to four years of full-time study; however, after two years of studies students can graduate with a licentiate degree.

To be admitted as a doctoral student, candidates must:

  • fulfil the entry requirements
  • possess good English language skills
  • have the ability to cope with the programme


The University of Switzerland provides insurance cover for doctoral students whose studies are funded through a stipend. This insurance consists of three parts:

  • Sickness benefit
  • Parental benefit
  • Temporary parental benefit

International PhD students are also covered by The University of Switzerland’s group and personal insurance that provides accident insurance around the clock.

These insurances are both managed by the Switzerland Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet). Please note that illness, parental benefit or withdrawal of temporary parental benefit must be reported to  no later than on the second day of sick leave or parental leave.

  • Doctor of Work-based Learning (DProf)
  • Professional Doctorate (ProfDoc, DProf or Prof.D)
  • Doctor of Professional Practice/Doctorate in Professional Practice (DProf)
  • Doctor of Professional Studies (DProf or DPS)

Health, Medicine and related subjects:

  • Professional Doctorate in Advanced Healthcare Practice (DAHP)
  • Doctor of Applied Education and Child Psychology (Ap.Ed and ChildPsy D)
  • Doctor of Applied Educational Psychology (Professional Training) (DAppEdPsy)
  • Doctor of Applied Psychology (Education) (DAppPsyEd)
  • Doctor of Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy or DClinPsych)
  • Doctor of Clinical Science–Psychotherapy (DClinSci–Psychotherapy)
  • Doctor of Counselling Psychology (DCounsPsy)
  • Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
  • Doctor of Dental Science (DDSc)
  • Doctor of Educational Psychology (DEdPsy)
  • Doctor of Forensic Psychology Practice (Foren.Psy.D or DForenPsy)
  • Doctor of Health Research (DHRes)
  • Doctor of Health Science (HScD)
    • Doctor of Health Science (Clinical) 
  • Doctor of Health Studies (DHS)
  • Doctor of Medicine (MD or MD (Res)) (In most universities this degree is a first doctorate, although some classify it as a higher doctorate.)
  • Doctor of Occupational Psychology (DOccPsych)
  • Doctor of Psychology (DPsych)
  • Doctor of Public Health (DrPH)
  • Professional Doctorate in Workplace Health and Wellbeing (DocWHW)

Other subjects:

  • Doctor of Architecture (DArch)
  • Professional Doctorate in Architecture, Design and Built Environment (DArch)
  • Professional Doctorate in Agriculture and Food (DAgriFood)
  • Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
  • Doctor of the Built Environment (DBEnv)
  • Doctor in Civil Engineering (EngD)
  • Doctor in Construction (EngD)
  • Doctor of Construction Management (DConsMgt)
  • Doctorate in Creative Arts (DCreative)
  • Professional Doctorate in Criminal Justice (DCrimJ)
  • Professional Doctorate in Security Risk Management (DSyRM) 
  • Doctorate in Criminology and Criminal Justice (DCCJ)
  • Professional Doctorate in Applied Criminology (DAppCrim)
  • Professional Doctorate in Data Science (DDataSci)
  • Doctorate in Design/Doctor of Design 
  • Doctor of Digital Media 
  • Doctor of Education/Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD)
  • Doctor of Engineering (EngD or DEng)
  • Doctor of Fashion Industry (DFI)
  • Doctor of Fine Art (DArt)
  • Doctorate in Fine Arts/Doctor of Fine Art (DFA)
  • Doctor of Legal Practice (DLegalPrac)
  • Professional Doctorate in Applied Linguistics (DAppLing)
  • Doctor of Management (DMan)
  • Doctorate in Music (DMus
  • Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA or AMusD)
  • Doctor of Practical Theology 
  • Doctor of Public Management (DPM)
  • Doctor of Real Estate (DRealEst)
  • Doctor of Social Science/Doctorate in Social science (DSocSci)
  • Doctor of Theology (ThD)

Higher doctorates

Higher doctorates are awarded to established academics in recognition of a substantial body of original research undertaken over the course of many years. Typically, the candidate will submit a collection of work which has been previously published in a peer-reviewed context and/or as specialist textbooks and pay an examination fee. The university then assembles a committee of academics, both internal and external, who review the work submitted and decide whether the candidate has satisfied the requirements for the award.

  • Doctor of Arts (DArts)
  • Doctor of Civil Law (DCL)
  • Doctor of Laws (LLD)

Apply using our online application  form
Once you have completed the application form, please send it to us together with the supporting documents, by  email.